By Kylie Hammond
That’s confronting because most people don’t have much of a professional profile when they start this journey. They hope that they’re going to get onto boards because of their reputation. Maybe they’ve been very successful in their corporate careers.
But if nobody outside of the company has ever heard of them, they’ve not been in the media – if they walked into the room and very few people would know them – they are a nobody.
You must be frank and honest with yourself about how strong your profile is. If you are a bit of a nobody, you’ve got to come up with some clever marketing hacks to create a profile in a modest period, so that you could be considered for board director interviews. To even have a shot at the opportunity to join the board, how do we get you in the door to be interviewed for a board role?
We are very fortunate in this connected world – there are some very simple hacks to increase your profile, so that if I was to send your resume over to the chairman of the board or the board of directors, there would be a hint of recognition that they knew the person. A Google search would need to turn up a website, an online presence, a profile that would mean you would be prepared to have an interview with that person.
We need to shift from nobody wants a nobody on their board to the board wants somebody with profile to join the board with certain skills, experiences and capabilities. When we go and Google that person, we’re going to see some profile.
You have an absolute advantage being a Next Generation Director, familiar with how social and business media works to leverage the power of the internet to create a stellar online brand presence. This could include leveraging your LinkedIn profile, publishing your board resume online, having a thought leadership blog, publishing articles, videos and other media to demonstrate your skills and experience. With the right online brand and strategy, you can create a good quality profile that can help augment and support your board director applications.
You also have the support of Director Institute who are experts in this field and can help you to create the right personal branding strategy that can help showcase your skills and experience and stand out from other candidates in the market. Let’s be honest here – old school directors just don’t get how important this really is. Often, they don’t even think its important to have a good quality resume let alone understand that when a board resume lands on the desk, the first thing most people do is look up the person online. If there isn’t a robust personal branding strategy in place, then you are going to question if the person really has what it takes to serve as a next generation director.
Companies are facing disruption on an unprecedented scale, very few companies are not undergoing some form of digital transformation. So, to not embrace the digital world and harness the power of the internet to highlight your credentials, then you are going to be missing out on valuable opportunities. Another very valuable avenue is the media and securing quality PR to set you apart from your competition. We are very fortunate to partner with Media Stable one of Australia’s premier Media agencies who are specialists in showcasing experts and thought leaders to hundreds of journalists and media channels who seek out expert opinion every day.
When you look at top board directors who serve on the top listed company boards, they have a media presence. They are quoted in multiple media publications. You see them on the news and in print articles giving their opinions. They have profile and presence and they have enhanced their reputation by being accessible to the media. Again, this is a secret hack on how to accelerate your board career; if you can secure media profile, you can become known and respected in your industry or market much quicker as your can substantially increase your reach across a broad audience. Media can be also shared on multiple platforms, amplifying your thought leadership and expert opinions.
Talk to the team at Director Institute about how we can help you to really lift your media profile and secure unique PR opportunities that can enhance your board career prospect
Are you a Next Generation Director? Find out today by booking in for a complimentary career assessment.
Our members secure commercial paid board roles and diversify their income streams. Members gain access to invaluable private business introductions to Captains of Industry, Chairman, Non Executive Directors, Entrepreneurs and Advisory Board Members.
Expand your existing business network and become a recognised thought leader, leveraging our superior media connections and personal branding services. As part of your membership you will gain access to Australia’s leading board-ready education programs including Welcome to the Boardroom Masterclass and gain access to new opportunities and networks immediately on joining.
Benefits of Welcome To The Boardroom membership include:
- Dedicated Mentor during 2019 to assist you to reach your goals. Personalised one on one mentoring sessions to lay the foundations for your future board career. Strategy to develop your personal value proposition and position your unique skill set in the market.
- Complimentary attendance at our full-day Welcome to the Boardroom Masterclass, Australia’s premier board-ready program, develop new networks – you will meet other high calibre Directors, CEOs and Entrepreneurs. Read more
- Development of your professional branding package – work with our professional resume writer to develop a comprehensive Board Resume, Corporate Biography & LinkedIn profile.
- Access to hundreds of Director opportunities – Director Institute has the most up to date director job board in Australia with many roles exclusively available to our members.
- Keys to the Boardroom our exclusive eLearning program – study in your own time, in the privacy of your home or office to learn how to kick start and develop your board portfolio. Read more
- Exclusive Media Profile – Your professional profile carefully crafted and showcased on Media Stable‘s The Registry which is accessed by over 700 journalists and media professionals in radio, television, newspaper and online. Media have the ability to search The Registry directory when they are looking for an expert and business thought leader to provide media commentary. Working in partnership with Director Institute and Media Stable, you will be media assessed and have your expert thought leader profile created and added to The Registry. An exclusive opportunity to establish and grow your media profile.
I am offering complimentary board assessments for individuals who are looking to either begin their board career or expand their board portfolio. Please book into my diary.
We look forward to speaking to you.
Kylie Hammond – Chief Executive Officer
Director Institute Next Generation Directors